View Single Post
azomboid

Old June 9th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Replay to MNBlockHead: had to make a new account cause i lost my password and reset link didn't work.... What is Realm Works if not a platform for making games... heck there will be a content market to sell your own adventures... if a world with characters, story, goals, and quests that takes place with a copyrighted set of rules isn't a game it's at least pretty similar of a construct. Secondly... will is a who knows when scenario and to the point of this thread we can now trade modules with a workaround the only issue being it replaces your core data. So, you basically start with the building blocks you need to customize it to your liking.... so we already barely need the store. Honestly I don't think it will be much time before a group of frustrated users works on breaking the encryption...

To the second point, LWD wont loosen up on content restrictions I will disagree on the interpretation of reasonable sharing as it seems to be implied to me in this response. Simply put there are no assurances that can be made... There is no way to add a export feature that doesn't directly give an easy way to pirate material... I believe this to be a fact and I challenge anyone proficient to name a method that has given a user the ability to control their own data and hasn't been able to be pirated from in some form or another. So, to simply say well we just have to wait for them to secure it... well a several billion dollars a year industry called video gaming tried and ultimately gave up when it came to DRM on computer gaming... that's why the industry model has largely shifted to a micro transaction economy.

To your third point... I addressed policing in my last post I think... It's a perfectly acceptable, legal, and frankly wise decision to react to content infringement as oppose to try and regulate it from the start. This is why the courts give time to companies to adhere to takedown requests.

This was really I suppose the main crux of my post... I don't believe they will ever find a way to add an export feature with the security implements they talk about.... They say well what if people but content then share it without authorization? What stops me from doing that now... simply taking one of my modules in my EotE books... typing it up... saving it as a backup... sending it to my friend... he loads it up... now he has a pirated version of that module.... By the way that workaround took me two days to find and figure out from the time I started trying and I am by no means a really big tech guy. That being said... two days... if piracy is their real concern they clearly aren't trying that hard. If you output the data they can't control it! So this whole argument about copyright imo has nothing to do with the actual rights of the content creator and everything about them pulling a EA and deciding you have to use their portal to access your data so they can charge you for it. EA had to change that model after the most recent Sim City disaster if you may remember the outrage about that. The argument there of course being well if I buy this game that is inherently a offline single player game... why then do I have to be connected to EA servers...
I feel the same way about this program at the moment... from my point of view they just want to control the data I put in this thing cause they want to monetize it with no regard of how I may actually want to use it. Rather than perhaps selling access to the store or servers on their own merit. That being said I understand the need for a different business model however I don't see this being the solution as it will drive more people away then anything imo. Anyway I'm a rambling kinda guy and again sorry about that and sorry if I come off as uppity it's a bit of a heated issue for me as I am a big gamer and have been through similar things before with game companies.
azomboid is offline   #22 Reply With Quote