View Single Post
sqrw

Old May 11th, 2020, 01:51 PM
Hello fellow HLO users,
I just had an exchange with support since I thought players not being able to do character profession is a bug but it seems to be an intended limitations for Demo accounts even in a campaign shared with Patron sharing. I would like to ask for suggestions of how to make a point for players why they should pay for HLO.

Let me start with a bit of background, I as a GM enjoy HLO, it's a nice interface, as I'm working in software myself I can stomach the bugs and where there are missing features I see a potential of what HLO can become when it continues to grow. So I got a Patron subscription bought the CRB and suggested my players to make a account and join the campaign - that's a easy sell, yes it's a new account no one lines that, but it makes my life as GM easier to be able to quickly brows peoples Sheets and I hope that with time HLO can replace tools like roll20.

Turns out I was wrong, you can't invite players "for free" into a Patron campaign, I mean you can but even for campaign owned characters their abilities are limited to creating a character but not adding journal entries or other progression tasks.

Now I got to have the discussion with my group why they should pay money for HLO. And if I put myself in the shoes of a player I come up blank. I tried to argue this out with myself and It pretty much goes like this:

GM (me trying to argue for HLO):
+ I can look at your sheets easily.
+ It looks nice?

Player (me imagining I'm asked to pay money as a player):
- I got to pay money.
- Not using HLO I could save one login since still got to have a roll20, and a discord account anyway.
- Genesis lets me build characters for free with a nicer final sheet.
- I need to buy the CRB anyway.
- It's beta software why do I need to pay money for that?
- You can also just look at PDFs if you want our sheets.
- HLO is quite buggy.

So I hope to outsource some ideas to improve this conversation to the favor of why HLO for a player?
sqrw is offline   #1 Reply With Quote