Thread: Questions
View Single Post
charlieluce

Old July 14th, 2019, 08:52 AM
I actually ran my group through Doomsday Dawn and have been following the Second Edition forum and news, so I guess I'm as good as anyone to comment on this.

I'll start with the caveat that there was a lot of work by Paizo between the end of the Playtest and the finalization of Second Edition, so there could be significant differences between Playtest 1.6 and Pathfinder 2.0.

I'll also note that Paizo worked hard to reduce the Martial/Caster disparity in PF2, and a three Level gap can be kind of a big deal, especially if there are Ability Boosts and/or Proficiency jumps in that gap.

That said, I had both a Paladin and Sorcerer in my Playtest group, so I have 17th level versions of their characters to look at. Advancing the Paladin to 20th level, your numbers look reasonable. Still, while the Paladin certainly looks nasty here it's not an auto-win.

Looking at my PCs, the Paladin can fly at his Speed (with Heavy Armor) which HLO says is 20 feet per move. The Sorcerer can fly at 60 feet per move for a minute with each casting of her bloodline Dragon Wings and can cast it five times, so the Paladin is now in perpetual chase mode, especially if she casts Haste for the extra move. She also has Dimension Door if she needs a breather. If she didn't already have it up, she casts Foresight; now for each swing at her the Paladin has to roll twice and take the worse result cutting down somewhat on his hits and especially his crits even when he does get a swing off. On the other hand, with the Paladin's HP and ability to heal himself it's a real question if the Sorcerer can wear him down before she's down to Cantrips; the swinginess of the Saving Throws is probably going to be the big factor here.

So, does that help?

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds

Last edited by charlieluce; July 14th, 2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typo
charlieluce is offline   #9 Reply With Quote