View Single Post
chogenkiboy

Old June 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Cross-posted in another topic but repeated here...

When I orignally submitted the enhancement request to have optional images for Roster Units, I think the use case I outlined was pictures of my own minis... URLs to pictures from the manufacturer's website is an interesting idea, but my minis and/or paint schemes may not match the manufacturer's studio examples.

I'd rather be able to load images off my drive and embed them into the roster (preferred) or link to a file on my drive (might allow you to reuse some of your URL code). I'd also prefer to see this a Roster option that doesn't rely on the data file author to implement them, because the manufacturer's (or author's) link may change over time (not to mention my own hard drive structure).

The goal for this is two-fold... I don't forget which mini(s) match which roster entry (or have to hand write notes like I do now... "mini with red hair" or "unit with blue insignia")... my main interest... and if another player questions the mini(s) vs. roster, disputes should quick to resolve ("see, Mr. Rules Judge, I'm not cheating").

... additional text...

I think pictures of my minis in my roster from my computer should not pose any legal or bandwidth issues... moreover, the pictures will match what I'm playing with instead of studio examples.

I don't think images should be specified at data file design time. They should be optional and specified at roster edit time. Otherwise, how will I get to choose images from my miniature collection? I can live with image links instead of embedded images to keep roster files text based and small, but I'd like the images displayed in the roster editor with warnings about broken links.

I can live with images of a fixed size or pre-set options with max dimensions. I can even live with images printing on their own row to minimize impacts on roster loayouts/views. I would like images to dynamically scale when loaded, at least to conform to maximum dimensions (much like eBay does when you create an auction) so that I don't have to pre-scale my images, but I don't need crop or other image edit functions built into AB... I can edit images externally.

Since my original enhancement request got slammed by someone that missed the all important premise that this functionality is supposed to be optional (they were worried about ink), I'd appreciate any feedback either originate from LWD or be constructive, such as "I'd prefer image functionality to do X" or "I'd prioritize this after A & B, before D"... "I hate images" or "I'd prioritize it as never" don't move a discussion or product in a positive direction... they just demonstrate you're bitter and/or have no better ideas to offer.
chogenkiboy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote