View Single Post
Viking2054

Old June 9th, 2015, 07:01 PM
In my opinion, people who pirate are going to be severely frustrated having to backup their database and replace their database with yours or some other persons content. They won't be able to merge content like that either. At best, they will be able type in their own stuff to expand on another persons work. If you have hundreds of people doing that including the person who did the original data entry you are quickly going to have a confusing mess. Since you can't merge the data entry you will have hundreds of incompatible copies floating around and the pirates will just pull their hair out and throw the pirated software/content away... just my opinion. And if you force one guy to do all the work, don't you think he's going to get frustrated and bored for having to do it all himself and not getting anything out of it?

I think your also overlooking the databases GUID created by LWD's servers every time you create a new realm which you have to login to in order to create. If your GUID pops up in ten's, hundreds, or thousands of peoples databases when they login, don't you think they would twig to what was going on? I'd bet you'd end up with a banned account along with everyone that had those GUID's in their databases. No login, no new realms.

Your right, LWD can't stop piracy from happening. But, that's not their job. Making it hard to pirate and taking down pirated material when notified is in their best interest, though.

I'm sure in the long run, you will be able to share your own original content to your hearts content. But I'd be upset if you stole my unique content that I put up on the marketplace for a small fee.

You may be overlooking another aspect of piracy. Piracy doesn't hurt the big companies, they've got lots and lots of lawyers to sue your butt into oblivion. However, the little companies that may create a unique and fantastic product simply cease to exist and that game you loved or module series you loved goes away never to be expanded on again. You act like piracy is a victimless crime, it is not. People work hard to create content and share their imaginations with others in an intelligible manner. They deserve to be compensated for that hard work and you don't have the right to rob them of their livelihood.

You really should be begging the creators of EotE to jump in bed with LWD and put their content on the Realm Works marketplace so you could buy it ready to go. I'm sure LWD is trying to get as many game companies to give them licenses for their material so we can buy it. However, seeing posts in LWD's forums advocating piracy turns some of those companies away. Causing us all to either have to wait for them to come around and sell us their content, or else type it in ourselves. I won't dignify the piracy possibility.
Viking2054 is offline   #23 Reply With Quote