View Single Post
Laucian

Old May 19th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
In at least one case, the change in the Adventurer's Guide is deliberate, as James Jacobs commented "I was finally able to fix that".
And James Jacobs is not a source of official rulings, his comments are meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Couldn't you just not buy The Adventurer's Guide and keep things as they are? The changes would only occur if you buy the book.
If they're going to "replace" the original, I'm guessing that it's also going to replace it even if you only have the original source. Also I shouldn't have to not buy something to keep something I already bought.

Quote:
That's similar to a sentiment in the discussion at Paizo, but there's a difference.

When it comes to the book, people playing PFS will be told what changes they MUST make.

When it comes to home games, people can choose not to accept the changes.
Which is why there's a box in the settings you can tick to apply the PFS content restrictions.

Quote:
BUT, there is only ONE version of the ability in HeroLab. HeroLab is like automatically getting errata applied (which doesn't happen to the physical book). When LWD updates that ONE version, the change is applied to all characters using that updated "thing".

I view it as part of the trade-off of the digital tools... the tools need to reflect the "official" version of the rules. When possible, it is a bonus feature when they can accommodate house-rules, but not every house-rule is going to be easy to implement. So if the program provides tools for customization, that's the route fits most naturally.
And until Paizo states that the content in this book should replace the original versions the "official version" of the rules is that it should be treated as new content.

Quote:
Most of the time, with electronic tools, "getting all updates automatically" is seen as a feature.
I agree, and it's one of the reasons I use HeroLab. However, again, until Paizo says otherwise this should be in addition to the existing content, it is not an "updated" version.
Laucian is offline   #11 Reply With Quote