View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old March 7th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I don't think you have to mistake it for a VTT to expect concurrent updates. I'm a huge fan of RW, but even I have to admit that the mechanism to update things for players is clunky. Okay, yeah, having to click a synchronizing button is not such a big deal, but having to LEAVE YOUR REALM to do so, is annoying, even when not in a live session. I know there are important reasons why it is this way. But wishing for a different synch experience doesn't mean you expect a VTT.

For me, I really don't care. I don't want to be revealing snippets and having players sitting their reading over my realm content during the game. I update all reveals between games. As for the map, I just use the player view. I just connect a second screen and for remote players, I share that second screen using Google Hangouts.

That said there are DMs who need/prefer a way to share the player view without needing to lug around and setup a second monitor. They would rather provide the players with a tablet or have players use their own tablets to view the player view. That is not asking for a VTT, but simply asking for a non-wired way of displaying player view.

May are hoping that the Web view will help with this. But, if you still have to leave your realm to sync, then I don't see how it changes anything other than allowing people to access static historic information on their campaign from other non-windows devices.

I'm not hating on RW here, nor complaining. I really have no need for what athelu is asking for. But it is clear to me that he isn't asking for a VTT.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote