View Single Post
jkthomsen9

Old April 3rd, 2018, 02:21 PM
I am coming to the party a bit late. Until; recently I just did not play Starfinder.

I purchaced Hero lab in 2010. Since then I have purchased 97+ data sets for the pathfinder game alone. It is the only program I use for my characters. I recommend this software to anyone who asks.

I purchased Realmworks in 2014. At first I was extremely excited about this product. When I purchased the product LDW was in licencing negotiations with Paizo. LDW was showing "Rise of the Runelords" as prof of concept at PaizoCon2014. We were told we could see Paizo content in a matter of weeks. Unfortunately that has not happened and weeks became months and months became years. I do not hold LWD solely responsible for the delays. I do NOT recommend this software to anyone. I tell them it is incomplete and to wait and see.

Now we come to Hero Lab Online. I am all for innovating HL and keeping it relevant. I am even willing to pay LWD for the right to use the data, as LWD is not a charitable organization, nor are they doing this for altruistic reasons. I do have a HUGE reservation about the subscription fee.

Rob IF I give you $34.99 for Starfinder on HLO what am I getting for my money? With HLC for $34.99 I get the core rulebook for one game system, once purchaced I own it. What do I get if I purchase Starfinder Alien Archive for $12.99? HLC and HLO seem to have the exact same price schedule. If I understood your comments earlier in this thread HLO is significantly easier to program that HLC is. If I understood you correctly that is why Starfinder is not available on HLC. So why the recurring fee?

To put this in a different perspective....I love watching movies. I love it so much that I watch them on three different platforms....Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. The first two are subscription based plans. I pay a month fee to access EVERYTHING on their site. If I don't pay the fee I loss access, it is a all or nothing. Amazon is a little trickier. With Amazon I have an annual fee, but it is not to access content I have purchased, but instead to get free shipping and access to "free" content they are offering. I have no say in what content is available for free or when they will take it away. On top of that I can rent/purchase content. If I rent I get the content for a specific amount of time. If I purchase it, it is mine. If I choose to not renew my prime subscription, I do not loss access to my purchased movies.

If you implemented the subscription in HLC from the beginning I would have already paid $192.00 in subscription fees to access the $500++ worth the data sets I have purchased. If I choose to not pay the fee I loss $500+. This feels Wrong.

Please help me understand.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #258 Reply With Quote