Thread: Crippleware
View Single Post
Viperion

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
(Many apologies for what is probably considered a necro, haven't been on here for a long time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Let's look at the auto industry for a moment, since we modeled our approach to be similar.
Really? Let's examine that a little further:
Quote:
When you go to buy a car, do they give you the keys and tell you to drive it as much as you want and then bring it back when you feel like it? No, they don't. They let you drive the car a few miles to get a feel for what it can do, and that's it. They point out all the cool features so you can imagine what the car can do, but you don't get to actually experience it until you buy the car. Our model works much the same way.
No, it doesn't. Your model works like a car that can't select Reverse gear. Or turn left. Or turn on the aircon. When you test drive a car, you are limited by the amount of TIME you have to test it, but you have FULL access to all of that car's features.

Now, I DO understand how hard it is to create a non-crackable time-limited demo. I do. I have worked as a computer programmer in the past. And I also understand that a LOT of people have found the demo system you use to be more than adequate, have purchased the license, and have never looked back. However, I find that the version I am able to use doesn't let me use the features I need to enable to test the software adequately, in my opinion. I thought it might be of value to you to know why you have lost a potential sale, as there are probably people like me out there (not too many hopefully ) who won't post anywhere to say why they didn't buy your package.

Quote:
You can preview what printouts will look like all you want to assess the usefulness of the printouts. The only reason someone would actually *need* to physically print the output is to use AB at the game table. At that point, it's no longer a demo, is it?
Of course it is. Printing out a 300 point limited force (or whatever the limit is, I have already uninstalled the demo) is not playing a full game!

Quote:
Besides, if someone needs to use AB on a protracted basis, then they probably aren't assessing it's usefulness anymore and are actually try to fully *use* it - which goes beyond what the demo is intended for.
Understood - but when did I say I wanted protracted use? I simply want to test more functionality than your demo allows me to. Something I could easily achieve in a single execution of the program.

(snip post on why it has been so limited)
Understood again; I am simply stating that you have over limited the demo, in my opinion, and have lost a potential sale (I can't say whether I definitely would have bought it) because of it.

But as is obvious, plenty of other people find it fine to use, so I guess you are pleasing most of the people most of the time, which is about as good as you can get.

Viperion
Viperion is offline   #12