Thread: Map options
View Single Post
screwed101

Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:23 PM
I see this topic hasn't been touched in a long time. I'm hoping I could lend a..possibly simple addition that would solve most problems?

Having tons of pins on the map sucks, its great for functionality, but horrible for the look of the map and even worse when you have to hover over 30 pins to find the one you're looking for. The GM overlay is amazing for this, to be able to put pin labels on the GM layer and just check to see what they are is not too bad. The only thing is, when you reveal the pin to the players, they likewise have no idea what the pin is unless they hover over it, and you have the same problem all over again.

What if the GM layer had a fog of war reveal mask? The GM layer stays completely invisible, but the GM can reveal bits of it if he wants. You could make a dungeon complete with chests, traps, secret doors and only the GM could see them on the GM layer, and as the players wander around, you could paint the reveal mask just over the things they've discovered. It would allow for labels for large city or continent maps and it would be very easy to reveal exactly what you want to the players.

Obviously to me this sounds like an easy solution, and maybe I'm unaware of the difficulties here, but since fog of war is such a baked in feature in RW, shouldn't the GM layer also have it? It would be so versatile and allow for massively more options and customization with just one simple addition.

Anyway, just my two cents and hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse that someone else has already killed...
screwed101 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote