View Single Post
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:02 PM
At this point it is my understanding that D&D Next is still in Research & Development, and it will have to playtested by the public (Which would most likely occur at GENCON as that is where Hasbro/WotC does its playtesting). So far the only playtests that Monte Cooke mentioned were the private playtests that the developers do behind the scenes, but the actual playtesting they will be looking at will come from a major RPGA event like GENCON. Since this project is in its early stages, it is likely to undergo playtesting at this years GENCON or Next years (possibly both) because they don't want to release it too soon.

They hate admitting it, but they should have listened to the negative feedback they got for 4e at GENCON's playtests. They lost over 80% of their RPGA judges and members when it launched. I was one of the judges that walked away from it because I did not like the way it was designed.

From what I know the next "Iteration" of D&D that they are working on will not mean having to stop playing 4e or 3.5 or 2e or 1e for anyone. They are trying to create a modular edition that spans all of the editions and if successful will allow the DM to choose elements from all the editions released before. Meaning you can still do 4e. I may keep a few 4e and 3.5 elements, but there will be a lot of 2e in my games. (Weapon Speed Factors FTW).
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote