Thread: Lankhmar
View Single Post
jfrazierjr

Old October 20th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
Maybe it would be easier if HL just added a custom text field? Rather like a Trappings field for Powers?
Yea, that was kind of alone the lines of what I was thinking would be how "I would do it if I were to build Savage Worlds worlds from scratch using the Authoring Kit". As I said earlier, this really is a tiny thing in the grand scope of things important to me, but if it happened to be something very easy to change for CC in the base system(which the more I think about it, the more I think the screen UI and output sheets would be the major PITA parts vs updated the actual gear "object") would be nice. This is in no way critical, just a "in a perfect world", but the more I think about it, the more I think this might be a decent amount of work.

Quote:
I both agree and disagree here. I modified the base character sheet output to include full descriptions instead of summaries for that very reason, but I definitely do not expect a character builder to handle situational modifiers. A VTT program, sure, but not a character builder. However, maybe this is another situation where having an available text field, again like trappings for powers, might be useful if you wanted to jot down all the situational modifiers that could potentially apply. That's just my take, though, and may just reflect how much time I would bother with when making a data file personally.
Perhaps I explained it wrong. It's not really so much situational modifiers, though they could be. It's really similar to how the Super Powers companion says that the base skill modifier is half of the power point cost. I agree that the in game play nature of the values changing depending on circumstance (such as short, medium, long range showing on the "meta" summary) would be crazy to try to put into Hero Lab. My point was more the BASE. In the source book, there is a big giant table that shows the base cost for the modifier for each power jsut as the core rule book has a PP for each power. I think that as long as the existing PP field can take a negative number(and I expect it can), then the simple solution is to use that field for the base cost.

Quote:
What about this from the Common Code Examples thread?

Obviously that is for bumping up a bonus to a trait, but potentially could be used to add a free Edge then bootstrap that edge. Not sure if you'd have to then trap for each Rank to make sure you are only apply that one Edge at each Rank. I'd have to play with that, though.
Thanks for that.. I honestly never thought to even consider checking that thread for this specific use case(though I have looked at it many times in the past!) as I figured it would be either extremely convoluted to implement or impossible. That looks quite easy though.

Quote:
As for technical expertise to do these things... well, plenty of folks here have more of that than I do. And time, and inclination, is always a bit of an issue for me was well. Still, if someone takes care of a lot of the copy and paste work (especially for Pinnacle produced stuff, since LWD has an agreement with them already in place, so a lot less worries acout copyright issues if we give the files to LWD to put into the official updater) then I'm more likely to put in the little bit of extra time to do some coding work to finish out a file than I am to just do the file on my own for a setting I'm not otherwise working with for you own gaming group.
Yea, i am considering starting on Lankhmar. As I mentioned, it's really really small in terms of overall content. IIRC, the players section is perhaps 39 pages long and that includes some introductory pages to the setting and some of the setting rules which won't be coded up anyway. I have not done a line by line comparison, but i doubt that the gear is different than base other than prices and that part might not matter that much or can be saved for last.
jfrazierjr is offline   #20 Reply With Quote