View Single Post
EclecticGamer

Old August 24th, 2013, 01:38 PM
This is all precisely why I'm bringing this up.

I'll continue to use Eberron as an example.

If I'm going to make a campaign in Eberron, I want to use the actual world and city maps that are in the books so I can mark events and persons of interest in the same map that the players have in their copies of the books. I want to be able to add some of the information from the books as things the characters have learned through the adventure so that it will appropriately show up in the player log in Realm Works.

This should all be fine. There's no distribution, and even if someone from Wizards finds out, they in all likelihood won't care if I'm not distributing it.

Now if I want to share all the hard work I've done on the campaign, it becomes awkward. Most of the characters, plots and adventures are original, but there are copyrighted descriptions and maps in my realm.

Ideally, it would be nice if LWD could get some sort of partnership with companies to include their material with a purchase. Then my realm could note that it uses materials from the Eberron RW suppliment, which will be included if you have purchased it. But that sounds like it's a few steps down the line.

Probably the only solution is to somehow make a copy of the realm that has placeholder images and descriptions that say, "replace with map on page 241 of book X". I would think that would be fine. References to guilds and houses probably wouldn't be too far over the line.

The interesting thing about the discussion is that in general having this available encourages players to use the company's products. Given that, you'd think that there would be some way to make something work for everyone.

I hope that the inclusion of copyrighted material doesn't have a negative impact on Realm Works sharing, but if anyone can navigate that landmine it's LWD.
EclecticGamer is offline   #11 Reply With Quote