View Single Post
daudvyd

Old September 22nd, 2018, 05:19 AM
Hi Folks. I'm currently keeping campaign data in a personal wiki and am considering switching to Realm Works (RW). I have a few questions and would welcome answers from people actively using the software.

(1) What format does RW use to store data? Is it human-readable such as an unencrypted sqlite database? If so, is the schema transparent with meaningful table and column names or opaque?

(2) If I create a character, JohnSmith, and then mention JohnSmith elsewhere, will the software automatically make a link to that character or will I need to manually confirm it every time?

(3) If I specify that LisaSmith is a sibling (sister) of JohnSmith, will the software automatically infer that JohnSmith is a sibling (brother) of LisaSmith? Or will I always have to manually create the link in the other direction?

(4) I'm interested in investigative stories (mysteries). Date, time, and place are often very important. Can items in the database be associated with a user-defined date, time, and place? For example, could I write that KenKiller shot JohnSmith on December 9, 2200 at 10:30pm in JohnSmith's apartment? If so, would this piece of information then be registered on the data page for Ken, John, and the apartment? Would it show up on a timeline or table of events?

(5) In my games, the PCs and NPCs often have responsibilities to each other. For example, a PC may ask an NPC to run some lab tests and then report on the results when they are finished. During game play, could I note the parties involved, the time of the request, and the estimated time of completion? Would the request show up on the data page for these characters and in the timeline? Is this complicated by there being two date/times associated with the item: request and completion.

(6) I have two groups going through the same campaign separately. They make different choices and the stories will end up very different. Could I have two separate databases of the same initial material? If I spontaneously make a NPC in one instance, could I copy that NPC to the second instance later?

(7) Can stories be game system agnostic or do I need to specify a game system?

(8) Is the marketplace working in such a way that users can create stories for other customers to buy? If so, what percentage does the seller keep and what percentage does Lone Wolf keep?
daudvyd is offline   #1 Reply With Quote