View Single Post
Vargr

Old September 6th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
Yes, I believe this program to be superior, this is why I purchased it. The steep learning curve of this program is making it difficult for me to want to use it when OP is so much easier. If you haven’t used it, you should take a look. I am not saying choose OP over this program, but you should at least understand the differences. OP is like designing a campaign on paper, it’s easy to place your ideas and design. This program looks like it will help you make a better campaign, but you need to spend a lot of time learning the system before you can enjoy yourself. My complaint is that I purchased this program to save me time: it’s not.
I had a look at Obsidian Portal and it seems to need an internet connection at all times to work (I might be wrong here). That alone - unfortunately - makes OP rather irrelevant for me.

We all have different needs so I am in no way belittleling (is that even a word?) Obsidian Portal. Besides, I haven't used it, so I can't really judge it, can I?

Quote:
For journals, I am using the “other” category as a container and the “further information” option to write the entry (or technically copy it from OP). Then I link to my character to show the relationship. This does not work very well. I was hoping to be able to show that I had written journals (it allows the GM to read it) but only show the players I have written something they cannot see. This allows RP and for them to find out what is going on with my character. This plan has not worked out well.
I don't understand why using the "Other" category in the World Almanac shouldn't work. It should behave like any other snippet you reveal. Remember, you have the reveal the topic itself in order for revealed snippets to be seen by the players.

Quote:
Journals aside, for the campaign I am designing, I still need to figure out how to create the player’s guide to character creation. I will try to place this in the home page, I think that is a good idea.
I would put in somewhere under Mechanics Reference and reveal the information. On the Home Page I would make a link to the information in Mechanics Reference.

But there are many ways to do it.

Quote:
Where do I put race specific information? I have races and classes that pair together in this game, so I want to detail that to characters. This is so they know when then encounter hill giants, they are probably going to be barbarians. If they see a class outside of this list, then it is something special and they can choose to investigate why given interest.
I would place both in Mechanics Reference since both concern rules and they should be carved in stone (that is, constant and consistent). I would start with the classes and after that add the races.

When adding the hill giant you simply write "Favoured classes: barbarians, bards, necromancers" (or whatever, I have no idea). When you save the topic RW will link to all the mentioned classes automatically.

But maybe I am stating the obvious.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #14 Reply With Quote