View Single Post
Parody

Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyRPG View Post
I guess I'm trying to figure out why all of these elaborate import and export options are being created by users to move data; is there no plan to allow spreadsheet/csv imports at some point? This seems like basic functionality that is missing or is this intentional?
In my opinion, it's highly unlikely LWD would ever add a feature for going directly from, say, any reasonably unknown (to them) chunk of CSV to Topics/Articles and Snippets. There's no good way for them to know what means what in your data.

RW's XML setup lets LWD define how you can tell Realm Works what each piece of data means. That allows interested folks to write the glue that goes between some set of data and how they want it to appear in RW. This flexibility comes at the cost of ease of use for the person who has to write the glue and perhaps for those using the results.

There's also the ongoing side issue of duplication of effort for this particular system. If you were planning on incorporating purchased products in your own realms, you'll probably want to wait until those purchased products are available and the folks doing conversion have fixed their converters to make Articles/Topics that will integrate well. (Alternatively, you may decide to just buy LWD's version of them.)

Last edited by Parody; February 23rd, 2017 at 10:10 PM.
Parody is offline   #24 Reply With Quote