View Single Post
Madmaxneo

Old August 24th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Nothing in the "getting started" section helps with actually entering in the "Stat blocks" and other pertinent info. I don't need to know what to do beforehand or how to plan it out. I've been developing character sheets for RM and HARP for over 18 yrs. I know how each system works and all the mechanics by heart. I've also developed the entire character system and some of the actual game mechanics into Maptools, but so far Maptools is a lot easier to manipulate than the Hero Lab Authoring kit. Because right from the beginning I had an idea of where to start, learning the code was a different matter entirely. I am still not sure where to start in Hero Lab.

I'd like to start experimenting with adding the stat blocks and other fields that will make up the character sheet. But where do I do that?

It looks as though I can get a slight idea from the Savage Worlds walk through. But so far there is one thing to note in the first code I see. In HARP I use a point based system for character development and level advancement, not die rolls. No dice are involved in character generation or character advancement, only in game play. I believe the code I am looking at is for using dice to generate stats or for level advancement and none of that applies to the HARP character generation system. In HARP there is only one die type used and that is percentile dice. They are open ended for most things where if a 96 or higher rolled then you roll again and keep rolling until you get less than a 96, then you add all the die rolls together along with the pertinent skill, RR, or stat bonuses, and any other modifiers that may affect the outcome (like difficulty or opponents defensive bonus {DB}).

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #9 Reply With Quote