View Single Post
Mrakvampire

Old May 4th, 2015, 12:29 PM
For some time already I'm searching a software that will help me organize my games. Previously I for short period of time used something called Masterplan, but it's tied to D&D 4 ed, and as I play Pathfinder I quickly ceased to use it.

So, I've heard about Realm Works. Several month ago I purchased it, but only now decided to give it a try.

And I'm dissapointed.

Point 1. It's way too complex. Ok, maybe for some people it's good thing, but as it's my personal feedback - it's bad for me. I look at this mess of an interface and... ask myself - will it actually help me? will it actually help me organize my campaign? My first impression is that my notes in word format are easier to comprehend that scores of unintuitive windows, icons, types of text, etc.
Maybe if I'll spend hundreds of hours to master all its features it will shine... Maybe... I don't know, but frankly speaking, I don't have so much free time and that I have I'd better use on actual game.

Point 2. Ok, ok, let's assume I've spent a lot of time to master all the features of this software. But the thing is - it doesn't scale well.
All I need - is simple tool that will help me organize encounters of rather straightforward module, let's say Rise of the Runelords.
I need only 3 parts for every encounter - Name (with CR if combat), Text to read to players, Text for me. What I see now when I double click on encounter (plot point)? A lot of sublines, whose names use 40% of space on my screen. I don't need 8 (eight!) subtopics that should be filled, and are difficult to assess when I need to present encounter. All I need is click on plot point to be able to quickly assess all information for this encounter, similar to how it is presented in pdf/paper format of the module.

This post is a feedback only. Maybe it will be useful for GMs like me, that consider paying ~50 USD for this software. I don't want to start discussion with this feedback or to 'attack' developers - they've made obviously good and complex piece of software, it's just not for me.
Mrakvampire is offline   #1 Reply With Quote