View Single Post
Vampyre

Old May 15th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Hi guys,

I was lurking into HeroLab (I noticed there is the possibility to link with herolabs files, probably characters and such). I would absolutely LOVE having my game in HL, but it won't probably never happen. The only possibility I see, is doing it with the authoring kit. I've looked into the wiki, read the samples and how they adapted the savage worlds settings inside of HL. I have programming skills (I programmed in the past, but I stopped 10 years ago, so yeah, there is a lot of rust there in my brain on that concern). The samples I have seen on the wiki are particularly scary, and it seems, when watching some portion of the code, that you truly need to know what you're doing (like the PRIORITY level code). Knowing that my setting only consist of the player's book (and just recently the game master's book), do you think that is a viable option for me to spend time in coding the whole system into HL ?

I've started recently entering my data for the universe I'm playing in inside RW, and still have a very long way to go. I noticed that there is the possibility to link to a HL character in RW, which is making me think about doing it.

On the other side, the system I'm playing with is not widespread (since it only run one game with it), but I like it very much and wouldn't want to change for another system. It's called the Victory Point System, and is based on this kind of working :

- the gm decides of the amount of victory points are needed to accomplish a task. Let's say I need 10 victory points to lockpick a door.
- I take one capability (dexterity) and one skill (lockpicking). Those are plain numbers. I add them together. Let's imagine I have 4 and 2. Total is 6. I still need 4 VP. I roll a dice (d20), and if my result is higher than 4, I lockpick the door.

That's the most basic rule. There are extra rules to bring a time pressure on certain actions, and multiple people can get involved in combining their efforts for a very tedious task. This can lead in very time dependant actions (a full crew of player, trying to hack a computer without having very much skill, working all together in order to avoid the spaceship to crash in 10 hours in a space station). I like very much this system, but on the other hand, I think that trying to code this system in HL could be very tedious and time consuming.

Do you guys have any thoughts on that ?

Many thanks
Vampyre is offline   #1 Reply With Quote