View Single Post
Exmortis

Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Yes, Shadow is correct. A machine with Windows RT is not a real PC.

The chip at the heart of the machine (CPU) is not the same as (nor compatible with) the one you find in a standard PC, and so -no- application written for standard Windows will work on Windows RT (and vice versa).

Microsoft knew this confusion would happen, but wanted to sell very cheap things that they wanted to call PCs.
It is this king of total misinformation that skews perception. I am by no means Microsoft's biggest fan, but FUD is far worse then being a Fanboi.

ONE: Surface RT was not created to be cheap. It was conceived to be MS's answer to the Ipad and android tablets. Guess what? they share the same ARM based CPU architecture.

TWO: Although cheap may used to describe many products it must then be used to describe the buyers of them. So by Farling's logic if we do not all own 13,000 CAD computer workstation we bought "a cheap" product.

NO. See the world of retail is broken up into what we normal people call "budgets", this little term is extremely important for those in business of selling to the general public to understand. Ever person does not have 13k for a computer, so they make them, from low end to high end price points, exactly the same idea was put to Surface tablets, we have many different configs and prices.

NEED/WANTS: The next most important concept. Not everyone0 needs nor wants a $2000 i7 based Surface 3 Pro, including me, which is why I own the 128GB SSD/i5/4GB ram model. It serves my needs perfectly with a little room to grow.

Microsoft simply wanted a piece of the Android and Ipad tablet market with the RT. I consider this a poor choice, if they had done their research better, they would have known the bottom would fall out of this market. And as I stated on many occasions, it did. That's why it has been dropped.

To fit the low end budget slot that the RT held, they have now introduced the new Surface 3, with an Atom based proc. So for those with a lower budget, and it fills the need/want, you can get a surface running full windows for a lower price point.

You can call it el cheapo, but some people actually purchase with their brains, not me mind you, but some people do. Thus they maybe cheap, or they may be know that the hundreds they saved just went into the RRSP for retirement.

It is a pity people bought the RT thinking it was a PC, but it was never ever marketed as one. In store or online stores market what they want how they want, but Microsoft was pretty clear on this.

I am sorry you bought an RT thinking it was a windows tablet. But this exemplifies one thing I cannot stress enough to all buyers, do your research, ask friends or people you know who are in the know before buying. Almost no one I know personally buys computers or any electronics before asking me, I am not all knowing but its been my field of expertise since I booted my brand new TI99/4A computer. Like I have a friend banker, I go to him for advice before ever making big loan inducing purchases, because that's his area of expertise and he saved me a bundle with advice, over 5k on my 2010 Explorer Sport-Trac Adrenaline loan.

Can you take it back? you may find a use for it, but the RT was a failed market investment for Microsoft, hence there has not been an RT version of the Surface 2 or 3 and none for the 4 coming with Windows 10 release either.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote