View Single Post
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Standardizing Constrict

This one is a bit tricky, because of the way I'm doing it. Essentially, I wanted to make the Constrict appear as damage, and so I made it into an attack, replacing the melee attack bonus with the grapple bonus. Here are the pieces of repeatable code you need for the text file in the background.
Code:
<<Final Phase 10010>>
~ Adjust constrict attack value.
hero.child[<<choose a blunt natural attack>>].field[wAttack].value = hero.child[Attack].field[tGrapple].value
Code:
<<Final Phase 500001>>
~ Describe our constrict ability.
hero.child[xConstrict].field[xSumm].text = "Deal " & hero.child[<<chosen natural weapon>>].field[wDamageTbl].arraytext[0] & " damage on a successful grapple."
hero.child[xConstrict].field[CustDesc].text = "<<descriptive text which states this creature deals... >> " & hero.child[<<chosen natural weapon>>].field[wDamageTbl].arraytext[0] & " points of damage with a successful grapple check. <<remaining descriptive text>> {br}{vert 7}" & hero.child[xConstrict].field[descript].text
First you create the Constrict special, using just the description of it from the d20SRD or the back of the MM, with a standard summary. Since this will all be placed in the attack tab, and the description added to from the creature itself, you don't have to do anything more than give it the Extraordinary Ability Classification. Save it and test it.

Now, when you create the creature, choose a natural weapon that does bludgeoning damage. Under the bootstrap of this attack, click on Fields... and add a livename with a Value of "Constrict". That chosen natural attack id is what goes into the code above at the specified places. The timing is crucial if you want your descriptive text to display the damage that is dealt by this special attack under Specials. And that's pretty much it.

Note, nothing is really too standard here, as sometimes the constrict comes with an additional attack (such as rake for the Behir). Just remember to add it into the summary and descriptive text.

You can do the same thing with Rake attacks, since Rake attacks are on the natural attack list. In this case though, I have no code, I just have a standardized general description of how rake operates (again, from d20SRD or the back of the MM) and just have Rake in the attack tab. Just be sure to make the Rake a primary attack, since it almost always gets the full attack bonus.
Kendall-DM is offline   #7 Reply With Quote