Thread: Herolab Online
View Single Post
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 25th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
One other pretty nice upside here: once we do get to having user content, it will be much, much easier to add custom UI elements, or to handle complicated class' resource pools without the "split everything into multiple configurables" trick from desktop HL. This will make anybody who maintains custom classes or rules subsystems happy, and will make it much easier for archetypes and other "drop in" mechanics to provide a nice interface for new abilities.
Why this sounds great it also makes me very worried. I mean its already been confirmed that to do custom UI for say Pathfinder requires three different scripts and logic in the near future. I will need to support HLC windows/mac, HLC iPad (yes iPad has its own unique logic) and now HLO scripts.

Are you now saying that in addition to the above I will have to have different solutions for HLC and HLO when dealing with configurables? I am not seeing how that is a benefit here of needing to support three totally different designs and script logic.

I am starting to feel I am programming in the android world and have to deal with a fractured market place.

If I was being paid to do the above work by companies I can see it not being a huge deal. But as a free contributor needing to produce three times the amount code to make a product usable is not something I am looking forward too.

Hopefully this is just another 'off the cuff' comment and is leaving out tons of details.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #16 Reply With Quote