Thread: Linux Version
View Single Post
Parody

Old March 6th, 2018, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhwittek View Post
KBS666, thanks for the information. I did not know LWD was using .NET to code RW and HL.
Desktop Hero Lab is C++ (non .NET). Realm Works is .NET and could be any one of a number of languages (or a mix of them).

Quote:
However, .NET is a whole different beast. Though, that does beg the question what are LWD's programmers using to code on OSX and iOS, since those OSes are based on FreeBSD (UNIX) kernel?
Could be anything. Objective-C was the main language for OS X and iOS for a long time, but many development systems, languages, and libraries have support for creating applications for those OSes.

Quote:
Duggan and Valyar, I was going to test with Wine here soon, but I had not heard of Mono. I will look for it too.
Realm Works won't work with Mono; there are things Mono doesn't implement that Realm Works uses. The best (and quite possibly) only way to run Realm Works on a non-Windows system is by running Windows in a virtual machine.

Quote:
Anyway All, thanks for your input. LWD, I reiterate that I will pay for another license if a native-Linux-port of RW and HL is done.
Web-based versions of their applications are how they plan to support non-Windows OSes (and eventually all OSes, it seems.)

Last edited by Parody; March 6th, 2018 at 09:22 PM.
Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote