View Single Post
Azhrei

Old January 28th, 2020, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomezy3k View Post
We play Pathfinder 1st edition. No 3rd party publications. I am trying to come up with a unique PC. [...] Which pretty much leaves fighter, Rogue (both), cleric, Warpriest, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Hunter, Magus Sorcerer and Wizard. [...] After you play one for so many times they get boring.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
It's time to take a fresh look. Like you, I've been playing D&D/PF for a long time (my first game was in 1979). It does get old after awhile, but I find the character class doesn't matter so much as how the character reacts to situations.

For example, when I think back to memorable scenes, they're never about the specifics of what the PC did, they're about how the PC reacted to some stimuli. Right now I'm playing a Mnk3/Wiz1/Rog5 and even at 9th level, the character isn't particularly powerful; I'm sure the party mage could do better in the short term. But my PC has staying power and can keep going after the mage has shot his wad and needs to retreat or be protected. Having said that...

You talk about power levels, but if you really just wanted a powerful character, you'd go full wizard or (as Minous says) arcanist.

When I'm looking for a new character concept, I try to pick things I haven't picked before. You can add archetypes (as Farling points out) to tweak some of the powers of the base class. Lately, I've tried slayer, brawler, summoner, and bard. (I've never liked the bard class much. Playing one has immersed me in the rules for the class and there are some interesting aspects to the class that I hadn't known before.)

So, my advice? If you can't pick one, assign random numbers and dice for it! If you get a roll you don't like, don't change the roll! Instead, let that randomness point you in a new direction. And instead of being focused on power level, look for character interaction potential.
Azhrei is offline   #5 Reply With Quote