Thread: GURPS Lite
View Single Post
ibecker

Old December 16th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
I thought the GURPS LITE data files fell squarely under the following section of their online policy, but if they say it doesn't, then it doesn't:
I agree - I thought the same thing. I figured I'd ask them anyway, just to be on the safe side. I pointed out that I thought the Hero Lab matched their description of the allowed "game aids" perfectly. Their answer:

"I understand where this would seem confusing, and would be happy to explain. A game aid, in this case, would be something like a dice roller, creating your own campaign, or something else minor. We actually sell our own character generator, so creating your own is currently viewed as piracy by our company, even if there are differences in format.

It would be like opening a burger stand next to a Burger King*, then advertising and selling Whoppers. Burger King won't like it, and would probably shut you down. On the other hand, if you had a lemonade stand across the street, that would a) enhance many burger-consumers' experiences, and b) not detract from Burger King's Whopper sales. Even if Burger King sells its own lemonade, it will be a different recipe, and lemonade is not something that can be copyrighted. You might even have Burger King employees buy the lemonade to drink with their lunch.

So basically, we want to encourage people to set up lemonade stands, car washes, and bake sales for GURPS. Just please don't sell our Whoppers.

*This reference is intended for educational purposes only. It in no way expresses my or Steve Jackson Games' opinions of Burger King, Whoppers, or lemonade stands. This analogy is currently in beta-testing; please let us know if it is too confusing, or could use some tweaking."
- Max Clontz (max@sjgames)

I agree with ChrisRevocateur that the currently available tools for GURPS leave a lot to be desired. I think that adding GURPS support to Hero Lab would only be a boost for GURPS itself. It is, however, their game, and without something equivalent to the OGL, they have the right to set whatever rules they like.
ibecker is offline   #38 Reply With Quote