View Single Post
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 12th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
One thing we learned in our post-UP games was that in terms of effectiveness Targeted Areas are almost always better than General Areas; not only do you get to use your Attack/Damage trade-off (great for the minion-sweeping that Area is often used for), but you get to avoid those near-impossible to reduce Reflex saves and the nigh-partial-immunity of Evasion in favor of the much easier to mess with Defense score. We ruled that Target Areas couldn't Critical Hit, but I don't think that's actually in the rules, so if your GM allows that it's even better.

You do have the disadvantage that you'll likely miss the potential targets that are Concealed, though.
My current GM HATES General AoE precisely because it's a minion-sweeper. For a short time I had Wayfarer using a ranged Drain vs REF Save (as well as their Rng Atk Mod & Acrobatics Skill ) against the super-dodge/acrobatic type foes to knock down them down a peg or two before using the General-type AoE but that was just adding a layer of complexity (as the GM now had to track who had their REF Save reduced if it worked) and usually meant the battle was over thanks to my team mates before I ever got to unleash the AoE.

So now I've just resigned myself that the General-type AoE is just not going to work against the Evasive/super DEXtrous. *sigh*

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #31 Reply With Quote