View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 6th, 2006, 04:09 AM
OK, I've been having trouble wrapping my brain around this description. But I think that part is academic, because I think the REAL issue is the title of this thread and your initial post.

If I understand correctly, you want to allow the user to make a change to the squad (parent) unit and have that change ripple down through all of the child units. HOWEVER, you then want the user to be able to modify each of the child units, changing out the option that rippled downward. In effect, you want the ripple to NOT be persistent. For example, selecting the missile launcher option on the parent would cause child unit A to synchronize with the parent and automatically select the missile launcher. The user could then go into child unit A and pick a flame thrower.

Is that what you want?

If so, then there is really only one way to achieve this, and it's NOT an easy solution. I'm honestly not even certain the trick will work, but I THINK it will. You'll have to play a bunch of games to get this to work. And I have to question whether providing this capability is truly "valuable" to the user.

So please confirm whether I'm understanding correctly. And then please explain how this is a truly useful feature. I could easily see a situation with the user has configured a bunch of individual child units, at which point a wayward click on an option of the parent unit could cause all of that work to be reset. I don't see that as a "good thing". But maybe I'm not understanding correctly. So please clarify this for me.

Thanks, Rob

At 05:40 AM 5/30/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
OOOoooo...gotcha. Thanks!

I want to have an option on a parent unit that if selected certain children get the option, while others don't.

The game mechanics are like this:

A squad has a squad sgt and several squad members. All members of the squad start with a basic assult rifle which has an underslung grenade launcher. Each individual member of the squad can take a rather large varitey of options which are unique to them. For this example, that main assult rifle can be swapped out with a missile launcher, or a greande launcher, flame thrower, etc. Up to two members of the squad can upgrade their main weapon this way.

Also, one squad per platoon can swap out the underslung grenade launcher with an underslung trench sweeper laser. Of course, if you have upgraded to a flame thrower, you don't get the underslung trench sweeper laser.

So, AB wise, the parent is the squad itself, the sgt and the normal troops are the children. I use hidden stats to pass up to the squad from the troops if they have taken a "special" weapon, which then passes to the platoon where rules validation takes place. Each trooper has an assult rifle added through an option of nature auto with a remainder group of mainweapon, which has a upper limit of one.

Weapon upgrades are options on the troopers that have an exclusion group of one main weapon.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to have an option on the squad to swap each members main weapon if it is an assult rifle, but not if its a "special" weapon.

Hopefully that made sense [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote