View Single Post
Winterfyre

Old September 6th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The Hero Lab Engine has to run somewhere. It's an incredibly complex piece of code that provides a custom language for defining everything for each game system. So we either have to port that to EACH DEVICE or we run it on a server. Porting it to each device is utterly impractical for our tiny team, so we're going to run it on a server and use a web-based solution to access it. And running it on a server lets us do a heck of a lot more with the product than simply putting the Engine on every device.

I'm not sure how else to explain this. Everything that users have purchased in the past will continue to run smoothly for them. It's only the new stuff we're doing with Starfinder and Hero Lab Online itself that work differently. There is no requirement that you use them. If you don't find the new options appealing, then you are free to not use them - and pay absolutely nothing.
I bought into starfinder to the tune of over $300 ONLY because you promised us Starfinder support, at the time I made those purchases via HLC and at the end of the month. Again I ONLY got into the system because LWD indicated character creation by the end of last month, so HLO, no subscription fee, etc.

So I have ALREADY paid to use your software for starfinder, because you couldn't be bothered to update your thread in a timely manner.

Secondly you continue to say "Everything that users have purchased in the past will continue to run smoothly for them". I expect that will be true, but what that doesn't tell anyone is weather the next pathfinder rulebook, expansion or whatnot after pathfinder migrates to HLO will ever be made into a HLC release.

So yes, you will support HLC forever, but how long before you stop releasing new material for it?

I understand you need to present this picture perfect view and make everything smell rosy and nice, you're out of business if you don't, so the answer will of course be Forever!!, but if you can't make enough money to support Realmworks properly how do you ever expect anyone to believe that you can afford to develop two versions of every data pack once you port to HLO, but charge us once without jacking the price?
Winterfyre is offline   #36 Reply With Quote