View Single Post
lifer4700

Old April 18th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
If your players are going to be manipulating their characters on their own computers, they should have their own separate Hero Lab accounts.

Keep in mind that you can use the Editor to create material as well. So, if you're playing Pathfinder and one of your players uses one feat from Ultimate Combat and nothing else, it may make more sense for them not to purchase the additional supplement and just add the feat through the Editor.

Rob explained it really well in a previous thread with someone asking a similar question:

His suggestion at the end may be a good solution for your group if you don't think they'd want to purchase Hero Lab.

So, I think I was using it correctly... (I stopped using HL because we don't use Pathfinder anymore)

I have all four licenses - the two I got when I purchased HL, and the additional two for $10 each. I bought nearly all the PF datasets.

I kept one copy on my "main" computer that I did the majority of the editing on (let's face it, nothing beats a real keyboard and mouse), and one on my laptop that I used when I ran the game session - Tactical Console rocks!

I also had one each on two "side" machines that players could go up to during breaks or during downtime and play around with their characters, check requirements for prestige classes, plan out feat progressions, print extra character sheets, make updates, and the like.

I would sync all the character portfolios manually when needed.

I had always assumed this was legal, since all computers were owned by me, and only one person at a time was ever using each licence. Was I good?

* As for players needing HL during combat, I find it's not a requirement. I do have one that uses the iPad app, but no one else owns an iPad (all Android). So I just check the conditions, and other adjustments (ShadowChemosh rulez!) myself from the Tactical Console. I know their bonuses better than they do sometimes.
lifer4700 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote