View Single Post
Nikmal

Old November 27th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Here's the answer I provided back in August in another thread...

What we have said from the beginning with the Kickstarter is as follows:

1. The web-based player access will be completely free. Please note that's the web-based portal and not the standalone client.

2. We would like to make the standalone client version of RW free for players as well. The problem with doing so is that the support costs will be roughly 5-6 times what they will be for GMs (based on the average gaming group size). Given that we've been having quite a variety of technical issues already with wildly varying computer configurations during the EA release, those costs will likely be significant. We have to pay for those support costs, which means the money to pay staff to provide that support has to come from somewhere.

There are three places from which we can derive the revenue. One option is to boost the initial price for GMs, putting the burden on them. Another option is to charge players a small amount to use the standalone client. A third option is to increase the monthly fees for the cloud to incorporate those costs, although this again puts the burden on the GMs. We haven't finalized this decision yet, but we'll definitely do so prior to launching V1.0.

FYI, the above concern is the primary reason we haven't announced any pricing for the product yet. We're still wrestling with this one and working to get a handle on a few remaining issues with certain computer configurations.
Rob,

I would say instead of wrestling with it in house.. shout it out as a poll on the forums and a mass email to your email list asking what their preferences are via the 3 choices above. This way you get an overall feel for what your consumer base might want

just as an FYI I would choose #2 personally (the bolded one above in Rob's posting)

Last edited by Nikmal; November 27th, 2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Calrified my choice
Nikmal is offline   #10