View Single Post
Ian

Old January 10th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xveers View Post
I can understand the desire to go to online cloud based systems. It has a lot of power, makes updating manageable, and since it's not a life-requirement (no matter how much some of us addicts say otherwise), net access isn't the end of the world. And of course I understand that infrastructure costs money to maintain. And if you're running a group, what's better than having a single repository to manage things?

Except for the fact that not everyone has a desire or a need for it. I'm certainly in that pile. My groups don't need online management. I don't need it. I don't need it anywhere near regularly enough to justify a subscription model to the data sets (Even though it's more just a maintenance fee for keeping the online stuff, well, online. Let's not kid ourselves. That is what it is). I don't think I'll be getting the 2-5-whatever it is dollars value per month out of it.
One other aspect to keep in mind here is that this finally gets us to something like universal device support. Making and maintaining good Linux and Android ports would take enough developer time that it would be a very, very long timescale, while the cloud-based approach lets us get something out soon enough to use before Elon Musk moves everyone to Mars.
Ian is offline   #256 Reply With Quote