View Single Post
Xveers

Old January 6th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Hello all!

Just registered on these forums to toss my 0.02 CR in on the whole thing. While I understand the decision to do an online only product, I find that while it does offer a lot of what I need, it offers much more that I do not and at a monthly cost that I do not feel is in my interests to pay.

I can understand the desire to go to online cloud based systems. It has a lot of power, makes updating manageable, and since it's not a life-requirement (no matter how much some of us addicts say otherwise), net access isn't the end of the world. And of course I understand that infrastructure costs money to maintain. And if you're running a group, what's better than having a single repository to manage things?

Except for the fact that not everyone has a desire or a need for it. I'm certainly in that pile. My groups don't need online management. I don't need it. I don't need it anywhere near regularly enough to justify a subscription model to the data sets (Even though it's more just a maintenance fee for keeping the online stuff, well, online. Let's not kid ourselves. That is what it is). I don't think I'll be getting the 2-5-whatever it is dollars value per month out of it.

I had asked you guys back at Gencon 2017 about when it would be coming out for Herolab, and from the quick 30 second conversation it sounded like it was coming, but not for a while. So I started looking in late December, and found this thread that seems to indicate a lot differently. That was a bit of a kick in sub-chestular area, I will admit. But then it is Gencon. Perhaps I was misunderstood. Or something was just said wrong. It was pretty busy.

So anyhow. I'm looking at other options for supporting my Starfinder work, which is a damnned shame. Hopefully you'll figure out how to actually roll it out on Hero Lab, in which case I'll probably throw money at it. Unless the other options end up being superior. First to market, I suppose.

Anyhow, look forward to seeing you at Gencon 2019 (not making it this year). I'll make a note to swing by your booth and congratulate/excoriate you appropriately, depending on how things go.
Xveers is offline   #255 Reply With Quote