View Single Post
ibecker

Old February 24th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
So with this idea then if my local computer crashes and I lose all data on my hard-drive I am SOL? I won't be able to reinstall RW and then tell it to sync down the data from the cloud.

Wait I can do the above allowing me to "restore" all my data. Looks allot like a backup to me if it can get me back from a hard-drive crash.

I understand from a business point of view there is a difference but for the average user of RW it will work as backup and a life saver.
Backups are point-in-time snapshots of the system, whereas synchronized copies are supposed to be identical to each other, with no notion of history.

The point is that synchronization helps if you (for instance) lose your entire local hard drive, because you can sync the cloud copy, as of the point of last synchronization, to your new local drive. However, it *doesn't* help if you delete something from your realm, sync the realm to the cloud, and then later want that deleted bit back - because that change will be present in the cloud copy, as well. That's what backups are designed to protect against.

-Ian
ibecker is offline   #5 Reply With Quote