View Single Post
gaffneyks

Old February 8th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
New report out yesterday shows d&d has surged ahead even further.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content...rs-Gain-Ground

I know this doesn't necessarily represent the RW crowd. But if RW user base is primarily PF players then this certainly shows a gap in RWs offering and an opportunity to attract a bigger player base.
This survey is for Roll20. A virtual tabletop that sells official WOTC content.

This does show that WOTC will allow other companies to sell digital versions of their products. And that people will buy them. WOTC also has partnered with a video game company to put out a Sword Coast video game and 2 MMOs. We seem to be jumping to the conclusion that the problem with WOTC Content in Realm works is due WOTC. If they were so draconian, why would they partner with all these other companies?

It seems that for some reason that LWD does not want to or cannot reach an agreement to partner with WOTC.

Hence they have decided to focus on Pathfinder for the Content Market, which would make sense if the majority of their users are Pathfinder players.

I think it is a mistake to ignore 5th edition, but that is their call.

When I go play in the D and D Adventures league tonight I will tell the DMs who wanted to know what i though about Realm Works after purchasing it, that at this time i would not recommend Realm Works to anyone due to the fact that LWD stated that 5e content is not a high priority and none will be released when the Content Market goes live and that it will be in the far future before they have any official WOTC content for sale in the Content Market.

Even if they could not provide WOTC adventure modules, you would think they would come out with something in the content market that allows us to buy the Monster Manual or Players handbook for the mechanics reference or maybe provide Forgotten Realms, Eberron or Greyhawk settings for the Realm Works World Almanac. They should have been able to come to an agreement with WOTC on that at the very least.

As someone stated on another thread, all we can do is vote with our wallet.

I had just assumed, incorrectly, that Realm Works would have the same type of D an D content that Fantasy Grounds has, so I had saved up $300 figuring I could just buy a WOTC bundle for Realm Works and it should be priced similar to the Fantasy Grounds WOTC bundle.

I am an idiot for thinking that.

Now I just need to decide if I want to

1) Keep Realm Works, try to get the 2 groups I DM to go Pathfinder and get to use the Content Market.
2) UnInstall Realm Works, give my money to Fantasy Grounds or Roll20 and keep playing 5E.
3) Keep Realm Works, spend hours entering everything by hand for 5e, and let my cloud membership expire since i will not need it without the Content Market.

Not really the options I wanted, but it is what it is.
gaffneyks is offline   #28 Reply With Quote