View Single Post
Exmortis

Old May 16th, 2018, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
All paths really need to be user definable. I was very close to requesting a refund when I installed and specified custom install and discovered that even though I directed the install to my D:/program files (x86) directory, a C:/programdata directory was also created and utilized.

Why? Because I use a SSD drive for C:/ which contains OS and static application files only. For those unfamiliar with SSD's, they dramatically speed up reads for file access so applications/programs gain a significant boost. The downside is that they have a limited number of writes to the device. Hero Lab forces a directory onto the C:/ and writes every time the program is accessed. Every time I use Hero Lab, a few bits die.... And that makes me sad.

SSD's are becoming more common for laptops and gaming systems. Cloud data support for centralized storage would be a huge plus for anyone using a desktop/laptop combo. I'd really like to see this limitation changed.
Just a side note, do you realize how many writes it takes to kill an even relatively modern SSD? Unless you keep you computer into the twilight of your years, its not an issue.

I once did the math because a friend would not own one for the very reason you have stated, it was like 25 yrs of avg use. Your drive will fail of a whole host of reasons before you kill it with writes. Remember, all SSDs have wear levelling technology to ensure all cells are used evenly as can be, and a failed cell is not a big deal, as they also have wear provisioning.

A good link to dispel this myth.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/...heyre-all-dead

Yes 2015 era drives.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #44 Reply With Quote