View Single Post
Paragon

Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
I have not done anything with items adding benefits to a character.

However, I would argue that you use defined Knowledge skills as I argue elsewhere. In my opinion, if it is a referenced Knowledge (whether it be required by an edge or increased like you are wanting to do) it should be made to be its own "full" skill, and not relegated to searching through the Knowledge skills to find a matching Domain.
That might be, but since I'm doing this for general consumption, I have to stick as close to the BE rules as I can, and these books are a generic entry for Knowledges (in other words, an individual book goes only with a specific knowledge, but there are books for many different knowledges, so...)

Quote:

I have not tried it, but an if statement inside the eval script that grants the bonus should be able to only grant it if it exists. However, I think that a mechanic might be the way to go because of...

Counting. The problem that is that if you have the item count for instances of itself it will not know if it is supposed to be the one that is giving the bonus. The most efficient way in my experience to get around this is to make a mechanic that counts for instances of an item, but will only grant the bonus once. In fact, I think the if ( <> 0) will do just fine and just give the bonus if one or more are there and not bother with the actual count.
Ah, that's fine then.

What about possible error messages for someone with such a book equipped who doesn't have a relevant skill?
Paragon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote