View Single Post
Merion

Old November 12th, 2018, 05:20 AM
Okay, I confess, I'm just sick of printing out battle maps when I already got it on the big tv screen (and unfortunately I don't have the space to create something like daplunk did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
2. That's not what the software was designed to do. It's not designed for RT play. I don't know if that's an easy change. It might require a ground-up redesign. It all depends on how the software is engineered.
3. It runs the risk of bloating the software. When you take something that's designed to do X and not Y, then you try to make it do Y after the fact, you're likely looking at a lot of patchwork code. It risks bogging down the software.
Of course! I have no clue about the technical ramifactions of this. The Player View might be an encapsulated module and adding more features like character portraits as a layer on shown maps might be easy or it's closly entangled with the rest of the code and all this is a huge undertaking or risk.
We can only speculate on that part without LWD chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I would rather see a separate VTT project with integration options. Then you can have a suite of products. A trifecta. Character management with Hero Lab, campaign management with RW, and VTT with ... ummm ... Game Knight! (No? Too much? How about ... ummm ... Cat Herding? Too on the nose, perhaps. Orc Quest Rations? Hey ... put down that pitchfork!)
Game (K)night, I like it!
Also like the idea itself. Detaching the Player View into its own product. You could have a lite version that is basically the Player View as we know it and a full featured standalone version that has a deep integration with Realm Works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I just posted a great long list of things ...
True, and I'm thankful for that, but you intentionally left out the Player View, so I thought I'll throw some halfbaked ideas in the ring and see if discussion leads us anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I'd rather see them partner up with an existing VTT and integrate the two packages together.
Yeah, I would be more than happy with that. I'm just not sure if it would be less work for the team than incrementally building their own. Especially with the experience of the content market where waiting for the other end seemed like a big part of the problem.

I think that all this might be connected with the question if Realm Works Online is still planned (even if surely not anytime soon). A lot of this is probably easier done if RW is a live online tool instead of client-server-solution with only occational syncs.
Merion is offline   #6 Reply With Quote