View Single Post
Viking2054

Old July 2nd, 2016, 03:15 PM
If I were a highly ambitious GM, like I used to be when it came to world design anyway, I wouldn't want my fictional worlds calendar's linked to a 'Real Earth' calendar system.

Now I would like to be able to attach a note that says when we played and it covered this part of the fictional worlds calendar. But I don't want it to link up day for day. I'd even like to be able to attach journal entries to calendar dates for the fictional calendar.

Although I think the week/month system could be scrapped and changed for something else say seasons, migration patterns or whatever. I don't see the day or year really being changed since they are based on rotation of the planet and the travel of the planet around its star.

I suppose if you want to throw in realistic time, we would have to agree on a minimum time scale. In which case you might define that based on the combat round time for the game system your using... 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 6 seconds, 1 minute or whatever. I suppose with that you could have blow by blow logs of combat in your journal or calendar. But personally I'd probably never use anything less then the 'day' time period inside Realm Works, at least for the calendar system.

Some things, I'd just make a note on how the world works. Say the day is 30 hours instead of 24 hours in my fantasy world. I'd put that in my world information and just share it with the players. I wouldn't actually build that into the calendar.

Anyway, I guess I don't see calendars in Realm Works being used like appointment calendars where you have a line for every 15 minutes of the normal business day.

I can see adding things like phases of the moon(s), season changes, equinox(s), solstice(s) or other interesting events that happen on a regular basis.

Anyway, I'd like to see some basics for Calendars implemented sooner rather then later. Being able to define and rename the day/week/month/year scales for a purely fantasy world should be easy. I can wait for the really nice things to be added down the road like phases of the moon, summer solstice, spring equinox, etc. I can wait even longer for things that are conditional like say Easter or Passover. And if I happen to design multiple calendar's for the same world then I should be able to set a specific link as to when all the different calendars link up. But I rarely do multiple calendars for a fictional world any more.
Viking2054 is offline   #35 Reply With Quote