View Single Post
jfrazierjr

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
CC could answer better how that works behind the scenes, but my understanding is that if the system sees the original UniqueID being loaded up into memory on anything is simply replaces it with the new UniqueID on the fly. It know how to do that because it loads and compares ALL of your .user files on startup and checks them for errors and such, as far as I can tell, so presumably it just loads up all Replace ID's at that time.

I agree that I wouldn't have expect that to be the behavior that it was a global change even if I have a sourceID listed on that thing, but that's just they way they did it, I guess. It catches everybody at first, though (it certainly caught me!)

As for Extend Thing... honestly I don't remember seeing that before. I think that may be new? CC may have to jump in on what that's about.
Well.. in theory for the Extend Thing, I would expect it to act just like adding a new property/tag/field to an existing thing without having to make a copy of it. Of course, I don't know exactly how it DOES work, but that's how I would hope it would work.

In that case, it would be easy to add a new tag to three axes(for example) using their ids, say for example tag AxeType.Great, AxeType.Hand,AxeType.Batle or whatever. Then he then has his filtering mechanisms without loads of extra work as in my previous post where I think it's possible to do what he wants(for all I know) with 2-3 more lines of code. To be fair, my solution, assuming it works would be VERY fragile since it could not determine the string WITHIN existins words(likely not a problem for Axe unless you use Axel in vehicles or some other really odd word, but could be a big issue with more common words. Of course, this could be mitigated quiet a lot by starting with the smaller context of WeaponType.MedAxes in the first place, so it might be safeish.
jfrazierjr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote