View Single Post
jfrazierjr

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
"Replaces Thing ID" is a GLOBAL replacement. It completely ignores source settings, so using it means you want that new thing to forever replace in ALL data files the original thing, so you should use it only in very specific situations. Normally when you want to do a replace for a specific source file you would need to put the original thing under the Preclude tab and if that original thing had other stuff that relied on it, you'd Preclude those things as well and create new versions that have the links you need to the newly created ones. Otherwise use of "Replaces Thing ID" could cause you major, major headaches down the road if you're not certain you want to use it globally for ever and ever and ever. That also means if you are creating a data file for other people to use then you should NEVER use it because it could potentially cause them major headaches if they have data files that your Replaces screws up in ways they don't like.

As to the original question there are a couple of things from the Common Code thread that might be of use for doing your #1:

Would either of those help to get you on the right track?

Ok.. so exactly how does that work?

Does it actually find all references to edgCommand(for example) in all other feats and whatever and physically replaces them in the source? If so, that's a rather odd thing to expect. So that even with your source turned off, it's still replaced? Either way, it seems a fairly odd to entirely re-implement loads of things to extend one or two things. I would think that if MY source which has a new copy of Axe which replaces the "core" Axe was turned OFF, but the Replace Thing ID still makes the system point to my axe, data load errors would happen.

For that matter, what is the purpose and use of Extend Thing for example which honestly sounds like it might be the correct method, because that seems to be the right way to do something like adding a new "property" of some kind to an existing object.

For the record, note that the the Gencon 2015 data set developer youtube video explicitly uses this Replace Thing Id mechanic which is where I got this idea from. The question is, was the speaker using to simplistic a solution for the problem presented or is it possible that the global thing was something which used to be true, but not is NOT(ie, a fixed defect or change in feature) or does it really only have consequences in our case since none of the data files are built by LW and instead hacked together by gobs of different users in the community?

Last edited by jfrazierjr; April 24th, 2017 at 10:07 AM.
jfrazierjr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote