View Single Post
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old March 9th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Is there any reason that a creature with more than one Hit Die and an ECL of 0 is calculating experience point totals as if the Hit Dice were equivalent to class levels? I would expect that levels would follow the normal pattern, regardless of Hit Dice, UNLESS there is an ECL associated with a creature.

For example, a creature with 2 Hit Dice but an ECL of 1 upon attaining a class level will calculate the experience to it's next level based on already having a level to begin with, in other words, as if going to level 3.

However, a creature with 2 Hit Dice and no ECL will calculate it's experience as if it already has 2 levels of a class before it actually takes a class level, that is, it has to gain enough experience to get to level four before it advances.

Most of the creatures have an ECL, so it's not issue and probably hasn't come up until now. However, I don't run my game with ECL at all, so all my creatures are ECL of 0, but any that are given class levels act as if the pre-existing Hit Dice are actually class levels and it takes a ridiculous amount of XP to gain even the first level of a class.

Is this working as designed? If it is, can there be an option to turn it off?

Thanks.
Kendall-DM is offline   #1 Reply With Quote