View Single Post
raindog308

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Downloaded the HL demo, fired it up, read some docs, and realized it used Software Activation. Uninstalled.

Sorry guys. Looks like a great product and I would have very likely bought a copy. But I just am not going to buy software that has Software Activation, for several reasons:
  1. I once bought a product that used SA and the company subsequently went out of business. Reinstalled my OS and now that product is sitting on a shelf and it's impossible for me to use.
  2. I am also not a fan of per-node licensing. I am the only one who would ever use this software so it really shouldn't matter if I install it on my PC and laptop and another smaller laptop I take on a plane.
  3. Too many headaches about activation (just a look at your forum confirms this).
  4. Why should I have headaches if I change computers? I upgrade my PC or laptop probably once a year and there's often an OS reinstall or major hardware change...and then I have to sit on the phone or wait on email.

Yes, some of the "big guys" use it, but while I'm forced to use MS Windows, I'm not forced to use Hero Lab.

I realize piracy is a problem, but SA is a bad way to try to solve it. And I say that as someone who publishes electronically.
raindog308 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote