View Single Post
Merion

Old November 13th, 2018, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
If you are using RW as a VTT then you don't know how much better it can be. Realm Works fog system within maps is horridly inefficient. You need to go to the topic. Open the smart image in edit mode. Make the change with the fog visibility tool. Click save. Wait for the save to update. It's slow, clunky and takes too many clicks.

Give Maptool a go. Switch to map. Click and drag to reveal or hold hot key whole you click and drag to hide. It's quick, efficient and lets you get straight back to running the game.

Now moreicons on maps would be lovely. But not for the purpose of using the tool as a VTT IMO. Not without significant changes to how it currently works.

To make it even an attractive option for me they would need to implement the ability to send it to a third screen. Having one for me, one for the map and one for the player view is just too damn awesome to give up in order to use this for the map.
What you say sounds good, but then I've seen the pictures of your gaming room and I have to say for me (and probably most of us) that is magical christmas land stuff. I have to make do with a laptop and a mediocre tv at my friends house where we play. So a 3rd screen is out of the question for me - unfortunately - and switching between player view for pictures and maptool on the second screen sound kinda unwieldy too.

Once my gaming evironment becomes more sophisticated, maybe I give maptool a shot. But generally I try to use as few tools as possibly because switching between tools breaks my flow as a DM. That's why I wish for RW to be my "gaming cockpit".
I even stopped using the HL tactical console for combat tracking as it's just faster for me to do that on paper. Also that UI drives me nuts. Hopefully HLO gets a smoother combat tracking and if it could be integrated into RW... well, then we're back to my initial post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydevil43 View Post
Dear god! how the hell do you keep that organised?
More importantly: how do your players keep up with that?
I once tried a rather simple custom calender with 10 months, each with 3 weeks consisting of 10 days and gave the days and months the names of kings and gods.
When, after nearly two years, my players still had no effing clue what the days and months where called and which ones were during which season, I ditched the whole concept and went back to using our real world calender.
So yeah, I don't get the calender hype either, but it seems important to some and if I recall correctly, it was a highly wished for feature when they did a survey a few years back.
Merion is offline   #17 Reply With Quote