View Single Post
whammydiddle

Old June 14th, 2018, 04:47 AM
TL;DR: Is there a plugin system to upgrade/replace functionality in Hero Lab, or is all "user development" under the category of creating new game systems, or tweaking old ones?

Noob question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I just wanted to confirm:

All these user projects and "developer" topics and such: I'm presuming they're solely within the realm of "creating another game system to use in Hero Lab", and not for customizing the functionality of Hero Lab itself. Am I correct?

To clarify: I use Hero Lab for Pathfinder, and I find it an outstanding prep tool. It's great for helping get everything together for a session, great for review, great for building PCs and NPCs. At the table itself, however, let's just say I would have made significantly different design decisions. I've pretty much abandoned the tactical console and the encounter library, while sitting in a session. I'm speaking from a GM standpoint here: a couple of my players use it at the table as players, and they all like it. But when we get into combat, I feel like I stop playing Pathfinder and start fiddling with Hero Lab, losing the touch of the game on the table.

So I've decided I need to do some custom development for a more streamlined combat helper. It would be convenient if I can keep inside the Hero Lab application, but thanks to HL's wealth of export options, it's not a dealbreaker.

TIA.
whammydiddle is offline   #1 Reply With Quote