View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old September 30th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Like AEIOU, JustinThomason, and Greebo, I would like this but it comes pretty far down the development timeline. Nice to have, unlikely to have soon.

Like Redbeard, I have IPP, but after playing around with it for a couple weeks never opened it again. It was just another tool to deal with. I want RW to me my in-game tool. The only exception is Hero Lab, but that is so well integrated, and the combat tracker so useful that usefulness justifies the extra effort and complexity.

I've played around with attaching webpages (you can find threads on this with example HTML and java script), but while it allows me to have my randomizer within the RW interace, the results do not get hyperlinked.

What I do now is that I have my random tables in RW as formatted tables. I've thought of workflows where I could tags those that I use, but I find it easier to job down random created people and areas on a pad of paper and add them as topics later.

I also played around with created generators using PhraseExpress, a universal macro and text expander application that I use to enhance RealmWorks and make things more efficient. My idea was that I would have a random character generator macro created that would automatically open a new person topic and fill in the details from a number of random tables.

In my tests I found this to not work well in-game. Just easier and less disruptive to jot notes on paper, which I can do while talking and still making eye contact. Maybe if I had a more powerful computer it would work better.

I do find it useful when prepping a session. But I haven't had the time to create all the tables and scripts in Phrase Express to get the most use out of it.

For pubs, stores, etc., I have containers for unsituated merchants with subcontainers for those that are region/culture specific. I pre-created a whole bunch of these, so I can easily just pick one in game and jot a not about where the party encountered it and I can refile it after the game.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #7 Reply With Quote