View Single Post
muzzyman1981

Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:44 AM
His stat box is setup the same as the Servitors for a Teachmarine and for Sgt Telion for the Scout Sgt...they are all upgrades for their respective units. The reason it doesn't say that he is an upgrade in the armor's upgrade list is because in his profile his box is shaded just like the other stat'd upgrade units.

It is that shaded box that covers his profile that signifies he is an upgrade, otherwise why have the shaded box? He is a general upgrade for armor. How else would you class his profile and therefore the rest of the unit profiles set up the same as his? You might say Sgt Chronus and Sgt Telion are special characters but that wouldn't explain why servitor's (which are definately not special characters) profiles are shown the same way as the others.

The biggest reason I would say that he is an upgrade is that under no circumstances can you take those units that have the grey boxes seperately from the units they are assigned to. You cannot take Sgt Telion on his own or give him to a Tac Squad, you can't give servitors to a Company Captain....they must be given to their assigned units, and since they are NOT in the Unit Composition section of the profiles AND they may be given optionally they must be considered as upgrades to those units.

I know the reluctance of not giving them, mainly because he is named and has Ultramarine markings all over his armor but the truth is you can use Sgt Telion and Sgt Chronus is other Chapters just fine as "counted as". If you use the reasoning above then he would be considered an upgrade to Space Marine armor, Space Wolves use the Space Marine Codex for their armor choices, with two exceptions, Space Wolves must therefore use the upgrades from the Space Marine Codex....ergo Space Wolves can use Sgt Chronus (they cannot use Sgt Telion as he is an upgrade for a SCOUT SGT which Space Wolves don't have and we can't use servitors because our Iron Priests have Thralls, the same thing).

Lastly, in the Space Marine Codex, it states that armies that follow the Codex Astartes may take special characters from the Space Marine Codex to be "counted as". By the two posts given, Sgt Chronus is a special character. Admittedly the Space Wolves place very little value in the Codex Astartes they do however technically follow it and therefore can take special characters. The matter that we have special characters in our Codex is beside the point. If you follow the reasoning that we already have our own SCs then no other Chapter may any other's SCs.

In conclusion, this game is supposed to be fun, I would like to use AB to make the game fun but if I have to explain at every game that the reason why my 1850pt army is short by 70pts and the reason being is that AB wouldn't let me put Sgt Chronus in the list would take some of the fun out of the game. Sgt Chronus could easily be "Counted as" an Iron Priest upgrade in the Space Wolf section.
muzzyman1981 is offline   #5