View Single Post
Taronthir

Old February 1st, 2019, 06:12 AM
For myself, I've found that using a tag to specify a source book works very well, and using the annotate field for that tag to insert a page number making it quick and easy to find for players and myself alike works pretty well. If I decide to create a source category article in mechanics, it's usually for one of two reasons:

1. To place an electronic copy of the book within the article itself, or
2. To have a way to place additional topics/articles under that general source entry that don't make sense to place within the general category for the rest of the topics I create with it.

To use the "Monster Manual" example cited by Quintain, I might place an electronic copy of the actual source book within the general Source article for Monster Manual, then as a child article for it, I might do an article named "Sacred Bundle", detailing some notes from that book on an item carried by members of certain types of aborigines - ones based on Native Americans or ancient Aztecs or Mayans, for example. It doesn't really belong under Dangers with the actual monsters, perhaps under Equipment or Special items instead - but this way, I have the source material I'm using to create that item already to hand and linkable, in case I forget to create that other article, or the way I decide to place snippets in that article type doesn't make sense to include that original text there.

In the end, as kbs and others have already stated, whatever organization works best for you is how it should be done, the same as how you go about creating your realm(s). As long as it makes sense to you, and allows you to find what you need quickly and easily, it's right. Even if you decide to export later and let others use what you've created, if they don't like the way it's organized for themselves, they can always re-organize to suit their style.
Taronthir is offline   #8 Reply With Quote