Thread: Hero Lab Online
View Single Post
Gobrious

Old September 4th, 2017, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardduck View Post
I don't begrudge them needing a subscription for revenue, but going online only is a bad decision for a whole lot of reasons.

I only use hl for character creation and in game playing of my own character on my iPad. If my group wanted a virtual tabletop we'd use one. None of the multiplayer features are of any interest, as only about half of us can afford to buy all the content packs, and unless the whole group uses it, none of those features are worth anything. That also eliminates convention or pfs use.

Plus, it only works if you have always on high speed internet access. That's another issue at conventions as most hotels still actively block hotspots, or have the equivalent of faraday cages around the floors with horrible cell service. A lot of game stores are the same. I am near 100% sure there will be an inevitable server outage, network glitch, or DDOS attack that takes the entire system down.

The only answer for those is to always print a backup. And if I have to go back to paper, I'll just go back to paper. Because if it's down, and you didn't, you're sol and the game doesn't happen that day. Pregens just aren't as much fun to play.

There's a ton of other risks too. Getting a complex UI to render properly in multiple browsers - and multiple versions - is painful. Will they support all major browsers or require a specific one on each platform? Will it work with ad and tracker blocking plugins enabled? Are they going to attempt offline mode in-browser (horribly unreliable)? How about visual assistance for folks with imparement?

Last, I simply don't trust that 'classic' will be supported with all new content long term. First proof is the lack of starfinder support. They have created a false rationale to not do character creation and single player in game use by adding new requirements for multiplayer access that are feature only a subset of players use or want. they could easily provide char creation in both, but didn't in order to push their new platform. And that makes me very very suspicious. I've seen too many small development shops launch a new platform, promise the old would be preserved, then down the road drop the old because it's too expensive to maintain two code bases.

Since online is a high risk, low value, marginally functional option, and I don't want to get stuck with more useless purchases on top of what now looks like wasted money, I'll stop buying completely. No new data packs. No subscription. A lost customer. How many of their customers are in that boat? I suspect a lot more than they think.

I'd be perfectly happy to move to a subscription model for a true offline/local/application solution. It's not about money for me, it's about reliability, functionality and usability - and a long future for my gaming dollar investment.
I feel the same way. I have spent hundreds of dollars for Pathfinder content, but as it stands, I will not be spending a penny on Hero Labs Online for StarFinder, and I'm liking StarFinder more than Pathfinder.

I have 4 weekly games, at two of them I don't have access to the internet. So I wouldn't be able to use Hero Labs Online half the time when I can use it all 4 times with the "Classic" version. Sometimes the classics are just better.

I like some of the online features IF everyone at the table has a tablet or laptop, guess what, not always the case.
Gobrious is offline   #80