View Single Post
Dianae

Old January 31st, 2015, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
The basic tool works but it does not deal well with "unusual" exceptions or sometimes Multitasking with Gestalt. Yes I will be getting back to this but not currently as I have too many other projects going on.
Good to hear that this is still on a back burner, instead of just left as too much frustration. I did have two questions though regarding this addon.

1. Is it currently compatible with the new Community Packs project you are working on.

2. Do you plan to fold it into the community packs in either it's current state, or once it has seen enough revisions to warrant a non-beta release?

Quote:
Well yea this idea was "never" even thought about as its so strange. Gestalt is meant to be for all levels not just one level.
I have seen instances where a DM has wanted a little extra survivability/versatility at low levels with out throwing the whole game too far out of balance and given only one level of gestalt, or treated it like Mythic Tiers, only allowing the gestalt to be at most 1/2 current level, (luckily that was just a one shot and everyone made the characters with the DM to alleviate number crunching confusion.)

But that was also back when I did everything with paper and pencil and used legal pads and spreadsheets for my characters.

Quote:
But I never built it with the idea of only "one" level being gestalt.
To paraphrase a favorite quote of mine: "No idea ever emerges unchanged from it's initial introduction to the tinkering masses."

Thank you for putting up with us tinkering masses.

On further pondering and review of the thread in general, I think I may have found an attack point for some of the issues with v0.6. A common thread (beyond multi classing issues) between the other issues posted, including the one I mentioned have one common thread.

Perceived Character Level(PCL) vs. Actual Character Level(ACL) vs Gestalt Level(GL)
Hero Lab seems to be counting each instance of a level (Gestalt, Class1, Class2, etc) as 1 level each instead of the levels of Gestalt fully subsuming the levels of the other classes. So to define the terms:

PCL = total # of times a level of any type was added into HL
ACL = The level a Character is supposed to be based on xp gained.
GL = Number of levels in the Gestalt Class

Thus any ability that in HL's coding that gets calculated based on Character Level is pulling info based on a Percieved Character Level from the Classes Tab. Going to go a little Mathy here for a moment.

Code:
For a fully Gestalted Character:  
     PCL = 3*ACL = 3*GL
     if ACL > 6 then PCL > 20
Here's where Hero Lab really starts to break down when it comes to calculating levels, I think. Since Pathfinder is a 20 level game, there is no code for a character beyond an ACL of 20, but since Gestalt is artificially "adding" levels to a character, it takes the PCL beyond what Hero Lab can process, again, I think.

The Feat which is supposed to reflect the ACL of 20, reporting the PCL of 60, which it has no data for. I would double check the feat at Level 6 (if you can take it that early and see if it "properly reports" a lvl 18 Mount.

Last edited by Dianae; January 31st, 2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Further Pondering v.2
Dianae is offline   #74 Reply With Quote