View Single Post
thaX

Old July 15th, 2019, 07:25 AM
The slipfall of ownership of a "Program" vs. the renting of an "app" is the slippery slope. That the overall permanence of having a program on the computer is slowly giving way to temporary licenses that allow the use of the program that is never owned by the user at all.

When we buy a car, we have a physical object, likely owned by the bank until it is payed off, or traded away for a new lease. The reason for this is because it costs a lot of money that the normal person will not have sitting around.

This is not the case for programs, but with the license fee that a lot of companies are going to, following Microsoft's lead with Office, the cost of the "App" is getting higher, and we end up paying more for the app than when we did paying a one time cost for the program.

Now, I don't think HLO is getting that bad, yet. I would hope that the content licenses for the additional content within the system license would be discounted now that HLO has a monthly/yearly fee for server access, but thus far I don't see that happening. If the trend continues as it has for other apps of this nature, the cost will only go up.
thaX is offline   #140 Reply With Quote